Friday, March 26, 2010

Banana Split-a Short History

Did you know that the banana split was first served in 1904? (It was.) When I was little, my idea of drawing "icecream" was to draw a banana split but I didn't know exactly what it was or what it tasted like. My grandma was kind enough to draw the above diagram for me in a letter. As you can see, she pointed out the cherry, whipped cream, nuts, bananas, and icecream with their various toppings. It became a running thing. "Have you had a banana split yet?" she'd ask.

A couple years ago, Dad took me out for my first banana split and it was so tasty! We couldn't finish it together and then this kid after us ordered a whole one for himself! We told him he wouldn't be able to eat the whole thing. So I was going through some old stuff and I found this letter my grandma sent me (she sent in May of '02) and I really wanted a banana split.

So I asked Dad, "Hey, can we go out for a banana split sometime?" And we went that night! It was delicious and we had a good time hanging out. So banana splits are extra special because my dear grandma is the one who introduced me to the real thing, and now it's become a Dad-only kind of thing. Isn't that sweet?
And I didn't even think to take pictures while we were out!

1 comment:

  1. Aww...that's so sweet! You've got a pretty awesome dad. :) My dad used to take me out on "dates" and they were some of the best nights ever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They make me smile! ^-^