Tuesday, March 27, 2012

DIY Adventures

It began with the discovery of New Dress a Day. A fantastic website this woman started with a sewing challenge. Clothing budget for a year: $365. That is one dollar a day folks. One dollar. And while, I'm not about to go on a sewing rampage and vow to only spend one dollar a day on clothing for an entire year... I couldn't help being inspired!!

So you can imagine, that when I found a pile of clothes on the ground in the alleyway in our neighborhood, I snatched up the opportunity and sifted through them. I ended up picking out three pieces of clothing. In the pile, there were a lot of scrubs and miscellaneous other clothing... Like pants that are unfit for the desert, for example. (They looked like they belonged in the north pole!)

I snagged three pieces. Two of which, I have already worked on, and one of which I have evil plans for.

The first was a white collared shirt with a sleeve missing.

It was a coldwater creek shirt so I could not bear to just leave it lying on the ground, even with the sleeve missing. And it had potential, so I brought it home. I intended to turn it into a little bolero. However, like a black thumb tending to a garden, I killed it's potential! It was awful! Everything was going well as I removed the other sleeve (which I carefully ripped out the seams to do.) and then, I cut it too short. Maybe it will make a nice bolero for a 5 year old. Or a flat-chested little girl. But sadly, not for me. Oh well. At least it was free. I love finding stuff on the ground!

The next thing was a very large collared shirt:

Mismatched Button Job!

It is difficult to tell in this picture (Cam was acting as my camera man and then he quit in the middle of the job!), but it is a blue and white pattern and it's got kind of a batik feel to it. It was a pretty nice shirt, but I wanted to do something different with it.

So.....


I made it into a skirt!


I cut it just above the pocket (which is there on the right, but it's hard to see.) and  sewed up the sides. Once I had sewn a straight line, I put it on inside out, pinned the sides and sewed it again for a fitted skirt. Then I folded the top edge down to make the waistband. (And having the button right at the top there was literally a miracle. I have no idea how I managed it.) A few tweaks and adjustments later and it was done!


Tada!! I liked it so much that I wore it to church on Sunday! My friends could not believe that it was a shirt, until I showed them the pocket.

Next from the pile on the ground will be a pink plaid granny skirt, which I hope to turn into a sundress! I have really been in a sundress groove lately. That's all I want to buy! I just like them so much! =) I plan to take a lot of fabric off the bottom edge and use it to make a bodice and straps. All this DIY stuff has been very exciting. There was a rummage sale last weekend and I got a bunch of good stuff, most of which I don't even need to alter! I have been turned into a thrifting machine. All thanks to my lovely mom. I had no idea that Thrift shopping could be so much fun! Or that I would find so much good stuff! It's amazing.

So these are the DIY adventures I have been up to recently, and I am sure there will be more to come!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! That is such a cute skirt! That's super impressive! Creativity and sewing skills combined!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They make me smile! ^-^